Monday, April 18, 2011

Rabbit with Mustard

When we were at Cioffi's the other day, we also bought a whole rabbit. I think I've eaten rabbit once before, in Quebec, when I was younger, but I didn't really remember it, so I was excited to try it again, and cook it myself.

I opened up the package, slightly surprised to find a whole rabbit, so I had to butcher the rabbit myself. I didn't really have any idea what I was doing, but I managed to cut it into six reasonable pieces, four legs and two loins. I braised the meat, and while the sauce was really delicious, the meat ended up somewhat tough. I don't know exactly how it's supposed to be, but I think it could definitely be more moist. I'll have to try it again.


Rabbit with Mustard
Adapted from Joy of Cooking
Yield: 2 servings
Print recipe

1 rabbit, cut into 6-8 pieces
1/3 cup dijon mustard
1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
3 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup onion or shallot, chopped
1 cup white wine
1 1/2 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
1 tbsp chopped chives
1 tbsp lemon juice
  1. Mix the dijon mustard and thyme leaves in a small bowl.

  2. Generously brush it over each piece of rabbit. Season with salt and pepper.

  3. In a large pot with a lid, heat oil over medium heat.

  4. Add the rabbit pieces and lightly brown on both sides.

  5. Remove meat and reduce heat to medium-low.

  6. Add the onions or shallots to the pan and cook until lightly browned, 1 or 2 minutes.

  7. Add wine, stock, and cream. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil.

  8. Reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes.

  9. Return rabbit to pan, cover, and cook gently until tender but still moist, about 45 minutes.

  10. Remove rabbit from sauce, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce until sauce is reduced to about 2 cups.

  11. Add parsley, chives, and lemon juice and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment