We used cod, which I think I don't really like, so the fish wasn't my favourite part of the meal. But I LOVED the chips with the tartar sauce.
Yield: 6-8 pieces of fish
1/2 tsp yeast
2 tbsp warm water
1/2 bottle room-temperature beer
2/3 cup flour
- In a bowl, combine the yeast and water. Let sit for about 5 minutes until the yeast is dissolved.
- Add the beer and flour. Whisk to combine.
- Let rest in a warm place for about 30 minutes before using.
Yield: 1 cup
1 egg yolk
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp white wine vinegar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 tbsp capers, chopped
1/4 cup gherkins, chopped
1 tbsp chives, chopped
1 tbsp parsley, chopped
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp worcestershire sauce
- In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolk, mustard, and vinegar.
- Using a hand blender, slowly drizzle in the oil. If the mayonnaise gets too thick, add a little bit of water.
- Fold in the remaining ingredients and season to taste.
Yield: 2-3 servings
5 russet potatoes
oil for frying
salt, to taste
- Peel potatoes and cut each potato into six wedges.
- Rinse wedges. Place in simmering water. Cook for 10-15 minutes or until just tender. Cool.
- Preheat oil to 360F. Carefully place half the wedges into the oil. Fry until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt immediately. Keep warm in the oven while frying the second batch.