Pan Roasted Duck Breast with Blueberry Chutney
Adapted from recipe on foodnetwork.com
Yield: 3 servings
Pan Roasted Duck Breasts
2 duck breasts
salt and pepper
- With a sharp knife, score the duck fat. Do not cut into the meat.
- Season the duck with salt and pepper.
- Warm a heavy-bottomed pan over medium-high heat.
- Place duck breasts, fat side down, into the pan.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes to render the fat.
- Turn the duck breasts over, and reduce heat to medium.
- Cook for 6-7 minutes for medium rare.
- Let the duck rest for 5 minutes before thinly slicing.
Yield: 1/2 cup
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
1 small onion, minced
2 tsp ginger, grated
juice of half a lemon
- Combine sugar and vinegars in a medium pot.
- Place over medium heat and stir to dissolve the sugar. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add blueberries, onion, ginger, and lemon juice.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 45 minutes.
Potato and Leek Galette
Adapted from recipe on marthastewart.com
Yield: 6-8 servings
4 white potatoes, peeled
2 tbsp butter, melted
1 leek, white and light green parts, sliced thinly crosswise, well washed
1/3 cup cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
1/3 cup gruyere cheese, coarsely grated
1/3 cup jack cheese, coarsely grated
salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Line the bottom of a 9-inch cake pan with parchment paper.
- Brush parchment paper with a quarter of the melted butter.
- Using a mandoline, slice the potatoes to 1/8-inch thick.
- Arrange the sliced potatoes in a circular pattern, overlapping the slices, in the prepared pan.
- Brush potato layer with another quarter of the melted butter.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with half the leeks and half of each of the cheeses.
- Repeat with another layer of potatoes, butter, salt and pepper, and remaining leek and cheese.
- Top with remaining potatoes and butter. Season with salt and pepper.
- Using a spatula, press the galette down firmly.
- Bake until potatoes are tender, about 45-50 minutes.
- Let cool slightly, then run a knife around the edge of the pan.
- Invert galette onto a plate. Remove parchment paper.
- Cut into wedges and serve warm.