Thursday, April 8, 2010

Lemon Poppy Seed Pound Cake

I've been meaning to make lemon poppy seed pound cake ever since we came back from Tofino. Our bed and breakfast host served this one morning and it was delicious, so I had to try making it for myself.

The recipe from the Joy of Cooking was really straightforward, so it was easy to put together in about 15 minutes. I absolutely love freshly baked cake, I mean nothing beats baked goods straight from the oven, so I could hardly wait for it to cool to have a taste. I probably took it out of the oven an hour ago and I've already had two slices - the lemon flavour and the tiny amount of crunch from the poppy seeds is perfect.


Lemon Poppy Seed Pound Cake
Adapted from Joy of Cooking
Yield: 1 loaf
Print recipe

3 eggs
3 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp lemon juice
3/4 cup butter, melted
1 1/2 cup flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 tbsp poppy seeds
1 tbsp lemon zest
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
  1. Preheat oven to 350F.

  2. In one bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, poppy seeds, lemon zest, baking powder, and salt.

  3. In another bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla, and lemon juice.

  4. Add melted butter and half of egg mixture to flour mixture. Mix on low speed until the dry ingredients are moistened.

  5. Add the remaining egg mixture in 2 parts, beating for 20 seconds after each addition.

  6. Pour into a greased loaf pan.

  7. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment