Blueberry Buttermilk Muffins
Adapted from Joy of Cooking
Yield: 12 muffins (I cut recipe in half and made 12 mini muffins)
1 cup buttermilk, milk, or yogurt
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp lemon zest
2 cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg (optional)
1 1/2 cup blueberries (I used frozen)
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp sugar
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Grease muffin pan or line with paper cups.
- In one bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg.
- In another bowl, whisk together eggs, buttermilk, sugar, butter, vanilla, and lemon zest.
- Add egg mixture to flour mixture. Mix together with a few light strokes until the dry ingredients are moistened. Do not overmix.
- Fold blueberries into batter.
- Divide batter among prepared muffin cups.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar before baking.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.