Adapted from Joy of Cooking
Yield: 21 triangles
1 pound spinach
1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 green onions, finely chopped
4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
1 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
pinch of ground nutmeg
1/4 cup butter, melted
7 sheets phyllo dough
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Stem, wash well, and coarsely chop the spinach.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion and green onion and cook until softened, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the chopped spinach a handful at a time. Cook until the spinach is wilted and the liquid is released, about 5 minutes.
- Increase the heat to high and cook, stirring constantly, until the liquid is evaporated and the spinach is dry, about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Let stand until cool enough to handle, then squeeze to remove the excess liquid.
- In a medium bowl, lightly beat the eggs.
- Add the cooked spinach mixture, feta cheese, Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Stir to combine.
- Place a large cutting board slightly larger than the phyllo sheet on the work surface, long edge facing you.
- Place one sheet of phyllo on the parchment paper. Using a pastry brush, brush the sheet with melted butter.
- Place a second sheet of phyllo over the first and brush with melted butter.
- Cut the phyllo sheets into 6 strips, about 2 to 3 inches wide.
- Place a tablespoon of the filling at one end, about 1 inch from the edge.
- Fold the corner over it to make a triangle.
- Continue to fold, as you would a flag, until the whole strip is folded into a triangular packet. Repeat with remaining strips.
- Repeat process with remaining phyllo sheets. The seventh sheet can be folded in half to make 3 more triangles.
- Place each purse onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and brush with melted butter.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden.
- Triangles can be assembled in advance, frozen, and baked just before serving.