Peanut Butter Cookies
Adapted from Joy of Cooking
Yield: 3 dozen cookies
2 1/2 cup flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup canola oil
2/3 cup smooth peanut butter
3/4 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup icing sugar
1 cup light brown sugar
1 egg yolk
2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Combine oil, peanut butter, butter, icing sugar, and brown sugar in a bowl. Beat on medium speed until very fluffy and well blended.
- Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla, and beat until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Stir the flour mixture into the peanut butter mixture until well blended and smooth.
- Let the dough stand for about 5 minutes to firm slightly.
- Pull of pieces of the dough and roll between your palms in to generous 1-inch balls. The dough will be fairly soft.
- Place cookies onto a parchment lined baking sheet, about 2 inches apart.
- Using the tines of a fork, form a crosshatch pattern and press each ball into a 1.5-inch round.
- Bake 9 to 12 minutes or until the cookies are light golden brown at the edges.