Friday, March 26, 2010

Brownies

Another recipe I found in the April Martha Stewart Living magazine was for brownies. The picture looked so appetizing, and it was the inspiration for my own photograph.


I never make my own brownies because I always think there is too much sugar and butter in the recipe to be healthy. Strangely, it is one of the few things I prefer making from a box. I really like how box brownies taste and I guess I've always thought it somehow makes it easier not knowing all the ingredients. But that's silly - making brownies from scratch, I can control the sugar and butter and quality of chocolate.

I like really dense, chewy, fudgey brownies, and this recipe met all the criteria. Very delicious.

Brownies
Adapted from Martha Stewart Living, April 2010
Yield: 1 8x8 square pan, or 9 2.5-inch squares
Print recipe

1/2 cup butter
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate (I used 4 ounces semisweet and 2 ounces unsweetened)
1 1/4 cup sugar
3 eggs
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp flour
  1. Preheat oven to 350F.

  2. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment, leaving a slight overhang on all sides.

  3. Melt butter and chocolate in a double boiler or heatproof bowl set over a pot of simmering water, stirring until smooth.

  4. Remove from heat and stir in sugar.

  5. Stir in eggs, one at a time, until combined.

  6. Stir in cocoa powder and salt.

  7. Fold in flour until combined.

  8. Pour batter into pan and bake about 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center comes out with moist crumbs.

  9. Let cool slightly in pan, about 15 minutes.

  10. Lift brownies from pan using parchment and transfer to wire rack to cool completely.

  11. Cut into 9 squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment