Chocolate Almond Torte
Adapted from Slow Cooking by Joanne Glynn
Yield: 8-10 servings
150 g sliced or whole almonds
1 thick slice of brioche
10 oz dark chocolate
150 g unsalted butter, softened
150 g superfine sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
200 g marscarpone cheese
cocoa powder, for dusting
- Preheat the over to 325F.
- Toast the almonds in the oven for 3 - 4 minutes until golden brown.
- Put the almonds and brioche in a food processor. Process until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Grease a 10 inch springform pan with a little butter. Pour some of the almond brioche mix into the pan and shake it around so that it forms a coating along the bottom and sides of the pan. Put the remaining nut mixture aside.
- Gently melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pot of simmering water. Stir occasionally until the chocolate has melted. Cool slightly.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and pale.
- Add the eggs and extracts and combine well.
- Add the marscarpone and melted chocolate and combine well.
- Add the remaining nut mixture and combine well.
- Pour into prepared springform pan. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until just set.
- Let cool in pan for at least 15 minutes before removing. When cool, dust with cocoa powder. Can be served with whipped cream or creme fraiche.